Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Marriage licenses

So I was talking to a co-worker (who's also engaged), and she mentioned how getting a license in one state (while residing in another) may be something I want to look up. I went to NY and CA state websites and I think it shouldn't be a problem. BUT, there was a couple of interesting things I found out about the marriages in NY:


1) Frank and I can change our last name to anything that is a combination of our last names: "a name combining into a single surname all or a segment of the premarriage surname or any former surname of each spouse". THEREFORE, I was thinking of these options (and side note, why do most of these combinations sound japanese???):

Katherine Chokimo
Katherine Kimchoco
Katherine Chocoki
Katherine Kirocho
Katherine Cochim
Katherine Rokimo


2) If Frank was my first cousin (clearly he is not), I would be able to marry him: "There is no legal bar against marriage between cousins". Interesting...I thought this would be illegal in this day and age.

But there you go-- hopefully you all find this as fascinating as I did!

2 comments:

Clare Hopping said...

We’re running video advertising campaigns for a well-known drinks brand and a top-rated American TV show, and would be interested in buying some advertising or advertorial space on your blog. Sorry- couldn’t see where to get in touch.

jennipah said...

kat! how bout chorokimcheecofrankatmeow?

:)